This is in response to Mark's Omnivores Hundred List. Keeping in mind two things.
One: I have no idea how to do the cross out thing.
Two: I am now mostly veg so many of these things if I have not tried them I never will.
Care to join in the fun, you can follow the directions below.
Copy this list into your blog, including these instructions.
Bold all items you’ve eaten.
Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
Have a look…..
1. Venison - I love deer meat, and will sorely miss it.
2. Nettle tea - Looked up the recipe and it sounds good.
3. Huevos rancheros -sounds good but I don't eat eggs anymore so I won't be trying this one.
5. Crocodile -Sorry but even though I heard that it tastes just like chicken, it will not be on my menu in this lifetime.
6. Black Pudding - congealed blood folks, Yikes!
7. Cheese fondue - It's cheese, melted, with stuff dipped into it. Yummy!
8. Carp -I used to live by Jordan Lake in Lake Odessa, Michigan. These things where always washing up in our yard.
9. Borscht - A no-no because of the beef but I may try a tofu variety because it sounds delicious.
10. Baba ghanoush - sounds delicious and I can't wait to try this one.
11. Calamari - Sorry but I have an aversion to sea food.
12. Pho - beef soup. Doesn't make the cut.
13. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich - A staple in our house.
14. Aloo gobi - another one that I am excited to try. I really like indian and mediteranean foods.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - I have never had the urge to do this.
16. Epoisses - I like cheese, but I am trying to give the stuff up so I won't be trying ths one.
17. Black truffle -I would try this one. I like mushrooms so why not?
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes - I just started drinking wine recently and am looking forward to trying some non-grape wines.
19. Steamed pork buns -need I even say it?
20. Pistachio ice cream - ice cream is another weakness of mine, I live across the street from a store that has fresh hand scooped ice cream!
21. Heirloom tomatoes -I have some of these in my kitchen right now. Delicious
22. Fresh wild berries -We used to go pick them when we where kids. My mom would use them for pies if we actually managed to bring any home.
23. Fois gras -sorry but that would fall under meat.
24. Rice and beans -vegetarian staple food.
25. Brawn or head cheese -Was forced to try head cheese in junior high. Never again.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper -I just don't like hot!
27. Dulce de leche -Yum!
28. Oysters -Again with the seafood?
29. Baklava -Amazingly deliciously decadent treat!
30. Bagna cauda -anchovies!!!!!!!
31. Wasabi peas -again, don't care for hot
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - the sourdough bowl sounds good though
33. Salted lassi -dairy drink, no thanks.
34. Sauerkraut -Love it.
35. Root beer float -My favorite childhood memory is root beer floats at the A&W drive in.
36. Cognac with a big fat cigar -Just once, the cigar almost made me puke.
37. Clotted cream tea -that really does not sound healthy at all!
38. Vodka jelly -Hello Jello Shots. An old party favorite.
39. Gumbo -Hated it.
40. Oxtail -no way
41. Curried goat -I think not!
42. Whole insects -I don't even like to get near them, much less eat them.
43. Phaal -Hot Hot Hot
44. Goat's Milk -I don't even like cows milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more -I wish. Can I borrow $120 for some whisky?
46. Fugu -Pufferfish?
47. Chicken tikka masala -You did what to whom?
48. Eel -As in water snake, no thanks.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut -Hated it!
50. Sea urchin -Keyword Sea
51. Prickly pear curious to try this one
52. Umeboshi -pickled sour plum, I would try that.
53. Abalone -nope
54. Paneer -another cheese that I might have tried before making the veg decision.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal -Heart attack in a bag. Yeah!
56. Spaetzle -Whit made me this one once. He said his is not as good as the real thing, but I enjoyed it.
57. Dirty gin martini -curious to try, but wondering what the dirty part is.
58. Beer above 8% ABV -Wild Blue Beer. Yum
59. Poutine -french fries, cheese and gravy. That does not sound good.
60. Carob chips -Yummy in cookies
61. S’mores -Yummy at a camp fire!
62. Sweetbreads -How did they come up with sweet breads from thymus glands of lamb, beef, or pork. I know what that it, and it is nothing like bread!
63. Kaolin -Sorry but I searched for this one and all I got was articles about rocks and clay and mining. Is that really what was meant?
64. Currywurst nope
65. Durian -I will try it as long as it does not smell like Whit's stinky socks. Oh it does? Well maybe if I just plug my nose.
66. Frogs' legs -As George Carlin once pointed out "What do they do with the rest of the Frog?"
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake -I just had one of these last month at a festival in town.
68. Haggis -No thanks.
69. Fried plantain -delicious if done right. gross if done wrong. dangerous food.
70. Chitterlings or andouilette -seriously, stuffed intestines!
71. Gazpacho -Sounds delicious. I will be trying this one soon.
72. Caviar and blini -tiny fish eggs are creepy.
73. Louche absinthe -worth trying although the hallucinogenic quality may be interesting
74. Gjetost or brunost -Cheese
75. Roadkill -seriously?
76. Baijiu -ummm. liquor.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie -gross
78. Snail -not the ones from the garden I hope.
79. Lapsang souchong -I love tea.80. Bellini -I'll try that.
81. Tom yum -had me till fish sauce and raw shrimp.
82. Eggs Benedict - never liked the looks of this
83. Pocky -Yummy
84. Tasting menu at a three Michelin star restaurant -goose and duck liver is not my style.
85. Kobe beef -beef
86. Hare -I used to have a pet rabbit!
87. Goulash -another staple and I have even found a veg version!
88. Flowers - I might try that, depending on how it was presented
89. Horse -Horses are for loving, not for eating.
90. Criollo chocolate -Duh, It's chocolate. Of course I would try it.
91. Spam -gross
92. Soft shell crab -pass
93. Rose harissa -sure why not
94. Catfish -my mother loved it. I am not a fan
95. Mole poblano -who knows
96. Bagel and lox -cream cheese and smoke salmon. Yuko.
97. Lobster Thermidor -not
98. Polenta -very good stuff
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee -I like coffe
100. Snake -sorry but always had a fondness for the live version
I think that we should come up with a vegetarian version of this list as most of this was a no-no for me. However it was a lot of fun to look all of this up and I did find a lot of new things to try. Thanks Mark!
Willing to try--21